The Culture 2000 Programme
The Culture 2000 programme of the European Commission contributed to the promotion of a cultural area common to the European peoples. In this context, it supported cooperation between creative artists, cultural operators, both private and public, the activities of the cultural networks, and other partners as well as the cultural institutions of Member States and of the other participant States.
The objectives of Culture 2000:
- promotion of cultural dialogue and of mutual knowledge of the culture and history of the European peoples;
- promotion of creativity and the transnational dissemination of culture and the movement of artists, creators and other cultural operators and professionals and their works, with a strong emphasis on young and socially disadvantaged people and on cultural diversity;
- highlighting cultural diversity and the development of new forms of cultural expression;
sharing and highlighting the common cultural heritage of European significance at European level;
- disseminating know-how and promoting good practices concerning its conservation and safeguarding;
- recognition of the role of culture in socio-economic development;
fostering intercultural dialogue and mutual exchange between European and non-European cultures;
- explicit recognition of culture as an economic factor and as a factor of social integration and citizenship;
- improved access to and participation in culture in the European Union for as many citizens as possible.
© 2007, Dipartimento di Scienze Storiche, Archeologiche e Antropologiche dell’Antichità. Università di Roma “La Sapienza”.